Pediatrician Stephen Cowan on Adolescence
- The stages of adolescence unfold like the seasons. Chinese medicine offers a unique, ecological understanding of transformation based on the Five Element seasonal cycles: Winter (Water phase) transforms into spring (Wood phase).
- Spring (Wood phase) transforms into summer (Fire phase).
- Summer (Fire phase) transforms into late summer (Earth phase), the season of the Harvest.
- Late summer (Earth phase) transforms into autumn (Metal phase).
- Autumn (Metal phase) returns to Water (Winter phase)
- Each phase has deep physiological and psychological resonance in our lives. This Five Phase model (see Figure 2) can be very useful in generating practical advice for parents in the midst of raising their children. Understanding the adaptive style of your child, according to the Five Phases, can also be helpful. Read here to determine which of the Five Phases corresponds best to your child’s personality and adaptive style.
Why is horseshoe crab blood so vital to pharmaceuticals?
Every drug certified by the FDA must be tested with an extract from the animal’s blood, but the biomedical harvest is affecting horseshoe crab populations.
A hidden cost of pharmaceutical development.